So whenever I’m having a rough day or I get intoxicated by negativity, I deliberately read positive books or watch positive videos. (Other than exercising, yoga or to meditate!) One of my favourite things is to read inspirational quotes. So here are some of my favourite quotes by Siddhartha Gautama better known as Buddha.
Buddha means “awakened one” or “the enlightened one.” “Buddha” is also used as a title for the first awakened being in an era. In most Buddhist traditions, Siddhartha Gautama is regarded as the Supreme Buddha of our age.
- “You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection.” – Buddha
- “We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.”-Buddha
- “An idea that is developed and put into action is more important than an idea that exists only as an idea.”- Buddha
- “A jug fills drop by drop.”- Buddha
- “Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”- Buddha
- “There is nothing more dreadful than the habit of doubt. Doubt separates people. It is a poison that disintegrates friendships and breaks up pleasant relations. It is a thorn that irritates and hurts; it is a sword that kills.”- Buddha
- “What we think, we become.”- Buddha
- “To conquer oneself is a greater task than conquering others”- Buddha
- “Every human being is the author of his own health or disease.”- Buddha
- “All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become” – Buddha
- “All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?” – Buddha
- “Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.” – Buddha
- “In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true.” – Buddha
- “Every morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.” – Buddha
- “Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.” – Buddha
- “There is no path to happiness; happiness is the path.” – Buddha
There is nothing like, ‘way to happiness.’ Happiness is not some destination. Happiness is itself a path, it is your journey. If you live in present moment and live your life positively, it is happiness.
Practise daily. Stay safe. Stay Humble