“You are what you eat. So don’t be fast, cheap, easy or fake.”—Unknown
I’m going to talk about food today. I’m just going to give some basic points of things you should avoid and things you should do to just to get started. Eating right is very important in becoming healthy. What I purely believe in is eat whatever you want (even if you are Vegan, eggetarian, non-vegetarian or pescatarian ) but to eat in moderation.
As a child I used to hate eating vegetables. I would only eat chicken. My doctor tried to scare me and say “Natasha, if you eat only chicken you would become a chicken.” I laughed and said “I would be a happy chicken.” I was a strange child. Anyway, but now I know how important it is to have a balanced diet to be healthy. How greens are nutritious in every way possible.
Most people misunderstand and think that only working out is enough, no your diet is even more important. Working out constitutes only 20% of the job the remaining 80% is your food. What you eat makes you. Again if you think “okay today I did a good workout so I can go and have a tub of ice-cream or a giant burger” it will not help at all. To see results you will have to make some sacrifice.
Things you should be avoiding…
Most people think that if they want to lose weight, they should just eat less and the weight will come off. That’s not exactly true. The weight will likely come off, but it won’t stay off because the only reason you’ve lost weight is because you’ve severely limited your calories. As soon as you start eating normally again, you’ll gain the weight back, and on top of that, your body will begin to store that extra meal as fat fearing that you might decide to cut out that meal again in the future.
The reason for this is, when you start consuming drastically less calories, or have long gaps between, your body goes into starvation mode. What does that mean? Basically, when there are long gaps between meals, your body moves from a fat burning mode to a fat preservation mode. That means that your body will start burning muscle instead of fat. This eventually causes a decrease in your lean muscle mass, which actually slows down your metabolism, and makes your body fat percentage goes up.
I’ve done this, you’ve done this, your parents have done this and maybe even your dog! (No, all animals except humans, actually eat when they need to. No over eating when they are done they are done!) Stress, anger, sadness or any negative eating drives you to eat? You turn to food for comfort, or when you’re bored. The thing with emotion eating is that you tend to eat more than needed and hence a few more pounds or kgs will be added to that beautiful body of yours. And lets face facts that is only going to stress you out and make you even more unhappy. Know what is upsetting you then you can tackle the problem!
Binging is when you frequently consume unusually large amounts of food and feel unable to stop eating. The urge to overeat can be overwhelming. And while the first few bites can sometimes feel good, shame, guilt, and regret can quickly follow.
Restraining your cravings
Cravings are all but natural but it’s how you deal with them. You might just want to have a spoon of nutella but because you keep restricting yourself what happens is that maybe after a few weeks or month you might end up having the whole jar of it. If you just had that one spoon your cravings wouldn’t have been built up to the other extreme where you simply go crazy.
Things you should be doing…
Liquids should be your best friend and I don’t mean alcohol here, I mean WATER, juices smoothies all the good natural stuff.
Fruits and veggies: The more colour the more nutrition, fibre and vitamins that will go into your body. They can be perfect snacks one can have in-between meals
Green tea: I know this comes up in liquids but Green Tea deserves another mention. Just having even one glass a day Increases Fat Burning stimulation and Improves Physical Performance.
Breakfast: Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and should NEVER be skipped. Because it improves your metabolism and helps maintain insulin response.
You start with making small changes and you will drastically see huge results for the better in your life! You just need to have good food from fresh ingredients. Being healthy isn’t a crash course diet, it’s a lifestyle. It’s your lifestyle, for the healthier happier you. Why not start now?